Make yourself a mini Meth "Penny" Stove

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Make yourself a mini Meth "Penny" Stove

Postby cottonpickers » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:49 pm

Here's something anyone can make on a weekend... Its a 'Penny Stove'

I'll show you how to make a really nice example, but you can simplify it to make the classic 'Penny' stove if you don't have all the tools. You can get away with a couple of fizzy drinks cans, a pen , pair of scissors and a drawing pin. But I like to make the all singing version... of course if you prefer me to make it for you jump over to the "I want one" and send over some PayPal.

Here's what we'll end up with:
It is a mini meth alcohol burner stove. Its lightly pressurised so you'll get jets of flames coming out the holes. Its got a wick on the outside to 'prime' it easily and has a nice thumb screw.

You just unscrew the thumbscrew, fill with meths and then 'wet the wick' with meths also and set light to that. This will warm the meths inside so that you get nice jets of blue flame out the holes, and the wick will go out leaving the jets burning. It weighs almost nothing and can boil a pint in about 7 mins.

More importantly, its a fun project to make when you are bored......

Here's how I make them

Step 1>
Take a couple of pop cans. Ideally you want two different brands that are fractionally different sizes. I fine Guiness and Carling work nicely :-) and of course, this is thirsty work!!

Take a sharpie pen and a handy paperback book to use as a 'level' to mark around the tins

Step 2>
Take a pair of scissors and roughly cut about half an each away from the line. You need to puncture the tin higher up.

Step 3>
Now trim it neatly using the scissors again, and drill a hole in the one of the bottoms. I use a wood drill bit (eek!) because its got a nice sharp point to get you started. You may value your wood drill bits more than me though!!

OPTIONAL Step 4>
I use a dab of cellulose thinners to remove the ink that is usually on the bottom of the tins. No doubt other stuff will get it off including elbow grease, but this works for me.

OPTIONAL Step 5>
To help stop any meths sloshing around or spilling, you can put some glass fibre wool in the bottom of one of the tins. I just raid the loft for a piece :-)

OPTIONAL Step 6>
To help stick the two halves together I use a little 'Woodstove Rope Glue' You don't need this if the tins are around the same size like the ones I'm using, but I have it handy so why not. Basically you just smear in on one of the halves. you can also see a small 'plectrum' that I've cut out of the guiness can - This helps to slide the two halves together.

Step 7>
Here's where you earn your money! this is the tricky bit where you place the two halves together and gently slide and coax them in using the plectrum. Its a bit of a knack and you may need to start all over again if its unsuccesful. Some sticky tape to hold one side in place while you work on the other is a good tip if you are struggling. If you are in the UK definitely use the tins I've used as they fit really snugly but not too hard.

Step 8>
Drill small holes all the way around the top of the tin. You can use a drawing pin if you dont have a small drill, otherwise you want a tiny 1mm or smaller drill. If you do use a pin, keep the holes small. I use a dremel. To help me stay accurate I use the white disk marked with the 20 or so hole points, and I place some sticky tape over the area I'm drilling to help stop the tip from slipping.

<YOU CAN STOP HERE IF YOU LIKE- AND YOU'LL HAVE THE CLASSIC PENNY STOVE. JUST FILL WITH METH OR ALCOHOL AND THEN PLACE A PENNY OVER THE HOLE AND PUT A LITTLE MORE IN THE 'CUP' AND LIGHT IT>

OPTIONAL Step 9
I like to put a thumb screw instead of a penny - I use a nut riveter like this one to put the rivet in and use a matching sized thumb screw. You do need to be careful when squeezing the nut riveter. Stop as soon as the 'nut' is crushed which will be very tight. Don't get tempted to pull harder after its done.

OPTIONAL Step 10
I like to put a wick around the outside as it makes it easier to pre-heat the meths, and its fun ;-) I use 3mm Woodstove rope and the glue used earlier to stick it on. You need about 1m which costs about £2 on ebay.

OPTIONAL Purchase
Now you have the tiniest of stoves, you might want to couple it with a 'peanut' lighter. It is keychain sized and uses standard flints and Zippo fuel.
TADA: Job Done!!

You really should make of these yourself, but in the spirit of this website, if you prefer mine, then for a tenner I'll make one for you and send it to you along with an empty 'Peanut' lighter. Just go to the 'I want one' section (when I've updated it!)

If you have something fun to be made, why not show everyone else how to make it? I'd love to swap a stove set for something else fun that you can make...

TinTin

Re: Make yourself a mini Meth "Penny" Stove

Postby TinTin » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:26 am

Oooh! Love it! these are just so light and are great for backpacking- I've seen a number of designs but most aren't made as well :roll: . Thumbscrew is a nice touch.

Return to “Fun Stuff”