Current Cottonpickers experiments

Current stuff I'm playing with...
ForestBE

Re: Current Cottonpickers experiments

Postby ForestBE » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:08 pm

It will be the 2CC version ->4.20 V. I have always charged LiPos up to 4.20 V (with 0.5% tolerance this should be rather save)
The MCP73871 does preconditioning and with the load balancing feature charge cycles are minimised. This should get me safely through the daytime. The only problem will be a week of rain. But once the sun is back the MCP73871 should restart the system smoothly and revive the batteries nicely.

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:05 pm

USB Timer Update..... I've been informed that the issues with the base timer have been resolved. So looking to get them in my hands hopefully late next week to make final testing and changes. I guess ETA is still 2 weeks away, but at least things are moving again...

Aikidokajeff

Postby Aikidokajeff » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:04 pm

*thumbs up*

Good to hear. It'll be good to finally see them and what we can do with them :-)

Thanks,

Jeff

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:07 am

This week I'm making up a two panel (2x1100ma) folding solution for powering the Pi and charging cells.

First step is to cut the cloth and pop the panels in...

The panels look wrinkly as they have a protective film on while I work :-) I put the diodes in this morning, and next step is the electrics

This one combines both panels to give one strong 2amp port. I use silicone to seal around the electrics (The material is also waterproof PVC backed)

Next up is to put the back on. Expecting to complete this one on Sat or Sun

mwhahaharun

Postby mwhahaharun » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Really excited by the progress. I can't wait to see how it goes. I'm planning to use it to see how fast it'll charge the note 2 in real world conditions :D

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:51 pm

mwh: Its not perfect, but I hope you like it. Here's the latest pics:

I just need to work out how best to finish off the USB lead. Normally they are short with the black shrink on them (but this makes them a little stiff) I'm wondering whether to leave the shrink off, or just shrink the two ends and leave the wires in the middle as its a bit longer - feel free to let me know what you think you'd prefer. Also on the length I need some guidance :-) I can go for 60cm as we first discussed - is that from the hole?? or from the edge? let me know which. I will also include a spare USB female 'end' so if you later choose to shorten it you can. Just don't want to make it too short !! I need some sun this weekend to test it. If its sunny I hope to hit 2amps even in October but I need that sun!

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:48 pm

OK, This puppy is all finished and ready to ship. WIll go in the post tomorrow morning :-)

Here's how it ended up on the USB lead. I went for heat shrink across the length of it in the end. The lead is 60cm from the End of cloth - so maybe 1m from the eyelet hole. If you want to shorten it, you can do so pretty easily as I've included a spare USB female port. Would need a small bit of solder on the two outside pins and then snap the lid on with a little glue -superglue is ideal. and you are done. The negative pin has some black to indicate the black lead goes to it. The red goes to the opposite pin. 2 in the middle get left untouched. I've included a white apple connector if you want to charge iphones etc. And finally, rather than send a bare Pi case I thought I might as well send a built Ver 7 solar model - as its really not much bigger and thought it might come in handy :-) The little panel will charge the batteries in the v7 but the two large 1100ma will not as they are slightly lower voltage. Of course they will charge the li-ion box nicely. Hope you like it.

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Just a quick update on what I'm up to currently...

I've been busy making up 'folding' solar chargers. they are either 2amp, 3amp or 4amps and come with 12v sockets - below is a variety of pics of them in various finished states. Enjoy!

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:44 pm

I've been focussing on solar folding panels still. This latest one was a request for black material, black trim but red thread. Tricky! and risks showing off imperfections, but fortunately it all ended happily ;-)

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:32 pm

This weekend was single panel build week:

Return to “Mad Inventors Room”