FS: Raspberry Pi Battery Pack and Solar Charger Ver 5

cottonpickers
Site Admin

FS: Raspberry Pi Battery Pack and Solar Charger Ver 5

Postby cottonpickers » Mon May 28, 2012 7:10 pm

Here is a Solar and Battery unit suitable for the Raspberry Pi.

Its a neat way to power your Raspberry Pi:

1. You can power your Pi directly from the sun using the solar panel and 4 x nimh batteries which act as a 'buffer' if the sun goes in

2. or... You can let the sun charge the batteries using the solar panel during the day and then switch on your Pi when you want to use it. - great to use free energy.

Of course, you can use the solar battery pack to power other Micro USB devices but the size of this panel is just perfect for the Pi and would form the nice basis for making a Solar Pi Project box.

This is a hand made unit not a professionally made device! - I made one for myself and find it very handy that I thought others might be interested. As you can see it includes a nice box to put the pi into - a great snug fit with holes made for the external connectors.

The panel supplies a little over 300ma (so for 3000mah nimh batteries means that it is charging at a perfect C/10) and has blocking diodes to prevent battery discharge.

Typical Pi version B users are finding that they are using about 400ma an hour with various keyboards, mice, network and TV plugged in and running, so when in full sun it could run almost completely from solar and when the sun goes in the batteries will seamlessles take over. Even using much lower capacity AAA cells (which also fit) my kids played on Scratch for over an hour and half in the dark with juice to spare at the end. AA cells hold about 3 times as much energy so you should have plenty of power.

The panel is large enough to charge 3000ma AA nimh batteries in under 10 hours or my smaller 750ma nimh AAA cells in under 3 hours. So you could leave in the sun in the day, and use the Pi in the evening.

The Raspberry Pi and Batteries are not included, but the micro USB lead obviously is.

This model has a
•Switch so you don't have to keep pulling the lead out to swich it off (but switching it off won't stop the batteries being charged)
•Blue LED so you can see when the batteries are being charged by the sun
The unit showed is purple, but could change. Please check first if the colour is important!

Price Including postage: £19.99 to UK
Price including postage: £22.99 to EU
Price including postage: £24.99 (or $39) everywhere else in the world

Paypal address: Image
How to order: Send payment via paypal and put 'Solar Pi Charger V5' in the paypal Notes field. For your protection, please don't use Paypal gift. If you also want confirmation when its posted, please just post a short reply to here with a note saying payment sent and include your forum name in the paypal note field, I'll then reply here when its in the post box..

scooterat

Re: FS: Raspberry Pi Battery Pack and Solar Charger Ver 5

Postby scooterat » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:32 pm

is it still possible to purchase this model and does it have a lid to encase the raspberry pi from the elements (thinking of going camping with a raspberry pi and also making a solar tft screen powered by a rechargeable 9v battery

yours sincierely Scott

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:34 am

Scooterat : yes this model is still available :). Will take 2 days to make up.

scooterat

Postby scooterat » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:26 pm

does it have a lid to stop water or dust getting onto the pi?

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:38 pm

scooterat: No, I'm afraid none of them have covers. I've put mine in clear polythene which works well (pulling tight over the solar section) If I can find a way to add a cover I will, but can't see how best to do it currently.

LoJack

Postby LoJack » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:16 am

do you still do this one? i'm after something thin and easy to pack, the v9 while it's nice seems to me a bit bulky....

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:53 pm

I can certainly make up a V5 still. :-) Yes I'm making all of the items on this site even if its a bit quiet currently.

LoJack

Postby LoJack » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:07 pm

sweet, payment sent a couple of days ago from an alternate email of mine.

I think you ought to consider something as thin as the V5 but with the multi-pack approach as your V7. so the pi, and two sets of AAs?

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:30 pm

LoJack: Got it, and it was posted out a couple days ago. Enjoy!

Return to “I want one! [Sales threads]”