FS: Solar Charger & Battery Pack for the Raspberry Pi-Ver 9

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Re: FS: Solar Charger & Battery Pack for the Raspberry Pi-Ve

Postby cottonpickers » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:26 pm

I think combo 2 will run a pi for 5 days. You will need to use the timer to go longer. 2 hours peak sun with my 1500ma panel is 3000mah enough to power the pi version A for 20 hours without any power loss and with perfect tracking of the sun. It's likely that you won't perfectly track the sun. Also converting to battery and back will loose maybe 25%

chris_j

Postby chris_j » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:09 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to run a raspberry pi and a webcam throughout the day to record footage of wildlife at a nest box.

The camera isn't equipped to see during the dark so I could switch the pi off at this time (although it wouldn't be charging at this time). At the same time, any footage would be being saved to a USB stick which might be a bit more of a power drain.

I'm hoping the Li-ion combo option will suffice.

Cheers,

Chris

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:57 pm

Chris, I think the li-ion combo box should work well. The camera likely uses around 200ma so you are probably at around 600ma in total. If you can angle the combo box towards the sun you can get up to 1500ma back in every hour on a nice sunny day. If the UK weather is too dull, you can always 'trim' back the time its videoing until you can have it happily recording every day (albeit a bit shorter) my guess would be that you would probably get 5 or 6 hours recording a day from now until september, but in december you'd only get maybe 30mins a day. these are my estimates and if you go ahead with it I'd love to know what you actually get.

chris_j

Postby chris_j » Fri May 09, 2014 11:42 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm getting the project ready.

Being a novice, I had a quick look for the Li-ion cells on eBay. There seemed to be a massive range. Are there any in particular you'd suggest?

Thanks,

Chris

chris_j

Postby chris_j » Fri May 09, 2014 3:55 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm getting ready to put this little project together.

Would you suggest any specific brand of li-ion batteries? There seems to be a huge variation in type and price.

Thanks,

Chris

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Sat May 10, 2014 4:15 pm

Chris: many of the ebay cells are fake or deliberately labelled higher capacity than they really are. Ideally you want genuine Panasonic 3400ma unprotected cells. These are dearest but best. If you can't afford these I recommend genuine Sanyo, Sony, unprotected (as the box has protection built in) the ones to avoid are *fire that claim 4000ma or more. These never hold this amount of energy

Something like this

spenoir

Postby spenoir » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:10 pm

I've been looking for some batteries for my recenty bought Solar Charger ver 9. Thought i'd share some links. Think i might gor this combo:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... ROKL5A1OLE

with these aa's

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... ROKL5A1OLE

reasonable performance for an average price?

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:22 am

Spenoir - thanks for sharing - is that the right link though? those look like C sized cells rather than AA or D

spenoir

Postby spenoir » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:54 pm

Yes I realised after sharing the links, I bought D size in the end. I found the best way to find batteries was to search for 'Ansmann' on amazon which gave me a choice of size/price. I've got the solar unit working nicely now. Its going to live in my shed. I'm thinking of setting it up as a web server and maybe as irrigation control eventually using sensors maybe. I've got a couple of questions though:

To charge the batteries from flat using the the usb cable, would I just plug it into my laptop?

Do you have a link to the most suitable housing for waterproofing the unit?

Thank you

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:51 am

Spenoir: The USB lead is more for either linking multiple panels, or for running off a USB port when theres no sun. It will put some charge in the batteries but it will not fully charge them (even if left plugged in forever) to get them fully charged needs sun. (or take them out and charge indoors in a standard battery charger. You may have worked this out already as I was a bit later replying.

For waterproof housing, I do offer the larger combo boxes to do this - they include the timer also. to make an already purchased Ver9 module waterproof I'm not sure what best to use. Probably I would use a simple plastic bag and tape it to the underside edge rather than use a hard box.

Return to “I want one! [Sales threads]”