FS: Solar Charger & Battery Pack for the Raspberry Pi-Ver 9

spenoir

Re: FS: Solar Charger & Battery Pack for the Raspberry Pi-Ve

Postby spenoir » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:15 am

I'd really like one of your waterproof box chargers. Could you point me in the right direction for purchasing one please? It rains a lot in summer in the UK so I can't get enough sun on my current one as I'm paranoid about it getting wet!

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi Spenoir: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=495

If you don't want the whole kit let me know and I can see what I can do - but its quite big so posting an empty box alone is not very cost effective (but I can do that if you like)

research1

Postby research1 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:39 pm

Hello I am looking into an imaging project for my research lab and we are using the 'A' Model Raspberry Pi with the camera board. It is an outdoor summer long project that would need to be able to withstand the elements and remain functioning with little maintenance. Your solar charger with battery pack looks like a promising place to start.

I was wondering if there was any possible discount if we buy in bulk and at what point (how many chargers) that would start. I don't know numbers quite yet but we would start with just a couple to see how they work for our project but then likely upscale. Also we need to know how much lead time you would need to make them. How long would it take to get the first couple to Iowa, and how long would it take to get say 10 or more chargers to Iowa.

Also I was wondering about a mounting system for the charger is there an easy way to connect the solar charger unit to a tripod or other adjustable stand? I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
Kim

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:41 pm

Kim: I can certainly offer a discount for multiple purchases. I'd be glad to offer $7.50 reduction on each of two of the charger cases (so $15 reduction for two) so long I can post together. If you are interested in more, or changes to the design, I can certainly offer additional reduction depending on quantity and can also amend the design to suit you.

It takes 10 days to post to USA - sometimes 8 or 12 but 90% lands at your door on day 10.

You may want to consider the 'combo' box that I sell as it houses it in case to avoid the elements and also includes a timer which you may want to use to switch everything off at night to conserve batteries. I can modify the price if you don't need the timer etc. If you can give me more info on what you need to power and for how long I can give you more information / tailor what I would recommend. Its easy for me to add a 'gorilla pod' compatible shoe on the bottom (no charge) and can also include the tripods if you need them ($9) Feel free to email me with further questions etc if its easier than on the forum

Cheers!

research1

Postby research1 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:56 pm

I am new to the forum and couldn't find your email, mcfee.kim@gmail.com is mine though.

But as far as power I'm a geneticist with little knowledge of amps, watts and volts. I know we are wanting to do stop imaging with the model A raspberry pi and camera board, not sure about the time interval for photos will be yet, but it will probably vary anyway. Once daylight is completely gone we could power down for the night with the timer though.

Also for our camera we would need to be able to get a clean shot from the combo box, I'm not sure if you have a set up for that or if would be as simple as drilling a hole in the box for the lens or mounting the pi outside of the box, we have a possible case for the pi if we need it (I'm not sure how weatherproof it is though).

I think we would need a taller, sturdier tripod than the gorilla pod so we might want a different mounting system, don't most cameras now come with a standard threaded attachment site for tripods? Is that what you would be using for the compatible shoe? I'm not overly familiar with these things.

Thanks again,
Kim

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:03 am

Thanks, email sent yesterday.

Yann

Postby Yann » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:30 pm

Hi cottonpickers !

I've received the panel few weeks ago.
Firstly, it a very good work, thanks !

I did some technical tries for my project.
It's to put a Raspberry Pi B+ in my garden auto-powered with sun.
It will be connected to internet with USB dongle Wifi and has a USB key to store datas (with OwnCloud).
So it will make a kind of "garden solar cloud" :)

But my tries didn't managed, because of power insufficiency (7 hours max).
I'm in French Britanny (weather is like south of England) and I've some problems about this point :D
So I made some calculs (I can upload graphs here if you're interested), and I understood that I need one other solar panel, at least.

Before order a new one, I've some questions :

1) I read on the V9 description that we can plug another panel using USB plugs ? Which are they ? Two on the sides ?
And how will it run ? Current & voltage will not over load the Pi ? Must I put same batteries in the other panel ?

2) Have you written a technical documentation (datasheets) for this model ? It would be very interesting !

3) I've a Raspberry Pi B+ and the box has been build for a A I think (I can put in into ^^). Do you build "B boxes" for this solar panel model ? And how can I precise it for a prospective order ?

Best regards,
Yann

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:09 am

Hi Yann,

Unfortunately it sounds like the B+ is a slightly different size to the A and B model that the case was designed for. Thanks for this heads up. I will have to get a B+ and see what changes I need to make to the case to fit all 3 models. If this is important you might want to give me a couple weeks to obtain and modify the case design. In paypal you can add any notes to let me know things like this.

1. Yes, you link them via the USB port - If you have a USB lead on the ver 9 already you just plug it into the second ver 9. Let me know if that lead isn't present?)
It won't over charge the pi as its the same voltage, it will just double run time.

2. I don't have a schematic/ details I'm afraid

Yann

Postby Yann » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:19 pm

Hi Cottonpickers !

Thanks for this information.

I would like in fact to put my Pi into a box like this yes.
So if you are interested in building a new box for B+, I will be interesed too, ans I'll order you one when you will finish it, but I'm not hurried :D

Can I put 3 of these panels together ? How is the maximum in serie ?

Best regards,
Yann

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:06 am

Yes, these are all linkable (so you could put three together to increase battery storage and also increase Sun capturing. Yes, I've got a pi B+ on order so will post here when I've completed the new case!

Return to “I want one! [Sales threads]”