Postby Schwabinger » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:48 am

I ordered mine tonight. My plan is to use it in my RaspRadio project:

Greetings from Munich!

Schwabinger

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Re: FS: Solar Charger & Battery Pack for the Raspberry Pi- V

Postby cottonpickers » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:26 am

Greetings! Sounds like a fun project - I'm guessing you still need to be in wifi range to use? Even if solar powered/charged? Just wandering if you could somehow record to make it more portable?? Anyway sounds great and a perfect pi project.
The case printed last night and I'll finish it tonight for posting later today or first thing tomorrow. PayPal will email you when I've posted it :)

hax

Postby hax » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:38 am

Great idea! Payment ready, pls notify when ready..

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:42 pm

Hax: it's in the post :)

zorann

Postby zorann » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:03 am

I ordered one. Regards from Slovenia.

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:43 pm

zorann: Thanks! it went in the post day before yesterday :-) all the best

pinthenet

Postby pinthenet » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi all
I received my Ver 7 about a week ago and after some experimentation I get the impression that it's not charging the batteries, even thought the blue led indicates charging.....
Initially I only had 2100mAh batteries, which I thought was the problem, but today I installed fully-charged 2850mAh batteries and after 4.5 hours in the sunlight the pi switched off (battery out <4v).

I am only setting the unit outside on a table 'in the sun' at the moment, is there an easy way to check the charging current? I plan to install a switching regulator as described here http://www.daveakerman.com/?page_id=1294 but I want to be sure everything works on the solar side. I will also look for 3000mah or even 3500mah for the final setup.

I have a Type A pi with a WiFi dongle. I disabled PAL/HDMI as mentioned in the link.

(I just checked the battery voltage again and found it was above 4.5v again, but when I connected & switched on the pi it dropped to just 2 or 3V)

Thanks for any advice. Perhaps I'm expecting too much with my setup at the moment? My aim is to have a unit outside initially measuring temperatures in a greenhouse and fishpond using DS18B20s (1-wirw), then proceed from there. I also have 3 normally-powered Typ B PIs performing various tasks around the house

John

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:08 pm

There's a few things we can test. 4.5 hours is about right from fully charged batteries with a ver B and wifi dongle. You should get 6hrs plus or more in the sun with your more efficient ver A. I got over 4 running texys TFT at the same time...
Is the dongle warm? It might be very inefficient. Some use only 40ma where others use 400ma. You could try removing the dongle and testing runtime from a full charge. Another test is to try running the pi without any batteries at all. In good sun you should see it light up and even boot up and run - but you need good sun in winter to achieve this. Are you in the uk? As I find sun is very week from nov to mar. The best test is... You can test the actual charge into the batteries using a £6 multimeter. Just set it to ma (milliamperes) and link it in the chain between the last battery and the contact. Battery--red lead of multimeter---black lead of multimeter---battery holder terminal. You need to face the sun to get the highest charge.

Return to “I want one! [Sales threads]”