Li-ion USB chargers -name your current

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Li-ion USB chargers -name your current

Postby cottonpickers » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:37 pm

A typical 2 x 'D' Cell Maglite puts out about 20 or 30 Lumens. Which is OK. However there are a whole bunch of flashlights out there that will truly blow its socks off. Many of these use Li-ion based cells, which put out about 4v rather than 1.5v.

This means that you can get a Torch or Flashlight the size of your thumb that puts out about 10 times as many Lumens than your Maglite. One issue is that any tiny torch needs a tiny Li-ion cell, and this in turn needs a suitable charger. There's a safety rule that says you should never charge a li-ion cell faster than 1C. This means that if the cell capacity is 200mah you should never charge it faster than 200ma. The 'ideal' rate is often cited as 0.6C, so 120ma maximum charge rate in this example. Different sized cells hold different capacities.

One very fine example is the MBI HF Flashlight. It pumps out over 500 Lumens in a package the size of your thumb. Behind the brass is a tiny but very powerful Li-ion Battery. If you have one of these my 100ma chargers are just perfect.

and here it is in action..

To charge this tiny cell you need a Li-ion charger capable of looking after it (nice low current if you've depleted it too far) and something similarly sized ;-)

I've built out lithium ion chargers for a while, and recently changed the design to make them a little 'sleaker' I can typically get within 20ma of your preferred current setting , starting at 60ma up to 700ma.

The chargers have some nice features:
[*]Maximum current is selectable
[*]Charging tapers current down(so quickly gets you to 4v then slower to end)
[*]Termination voltage is 4.2v +/- 1%
[*]Simple LED that lights while charging & goes out when done
[*]No trickle charging (When charging finished, only 2 microamps register)
[*]Soft start if your cell is below 2.9v - perfect for overdischarged cells
[*]Thermal protection of the IC (will lower charging in extreme heat)
[*]Soldered Magnets to 'stick' to the cell

If you have ever considered getting an amazing keychain light using li-ion technology then you may well be interested in this charger. Feel free to discuss here, or head down to 'I want one' if you would like to purchase.... They are $17 or £9 each including delivery. I ship worldwide

and if you fancy it a different colour, I can annodize these in Black, Blue or Red for an additional $2

Basic Chargers

These are amde from aluminium and use a Chinese TP4054 IC which isn't as accurate as the USA version present in the chargers which have a voltmeter.

To purchase, just click on the appropriate link below which will take you to Paypal. You can either pay with Paypal, or use a credit card without having to sign up to Paypal.

Click here : 100ma Basic Charger in silver -$17
Click here : 200ma Basic Charger in silver -$17
Click here : 300ma Basic Charger in silver -$17
Click here : 400ma Basic Charger in silver - $17
Click here : 500ma Basic Charger in silver - $17
Click here : 600ma Basic Charger in silver -$17
Click here : 700ma Basic Charger in silver -$17
Click here : 100ma Basic Charger in RED -$19
Click here : 700ma Basic Charger in RED -$19
Click here : 100ma Basic Charger in BLUE - $19
Click here : 700ma Basic Charger in BLUE - $19
Click here : 100ma Basic Charger in BLACK - $19
Click here : 700ma Basic Charger in BLACK - $19

Mike

Re: Li-ion USB chargers -name your current

Postby Mike » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:41 am

I'm still using the charger I had from you about 18 months ago on a regular basis and it works superbly, the new one, as you say does look sleeker and I like the idea of having the exact current setting.

Rosoku Chikara

Postby Rosoku Chikara » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:40 am

I am very interested in a Basic Charger without a display, but I am wondering whether to order 100mA or 170mA or 300mA.

For the time being (and foreseeable future) I will only be charging 10440s. (If, for some reason, I ever try to charge a larger cell, I am willing to put up with a slow charging rate.)

My current batteries are PCB protected "MarsFire" 10440s with a claim of 630mAh, but the "actual" is said to be only 330mAh. Would your 300mA charger be too powerful for them?

Also, I notice that your Basic Charger has a "Simple LED that lights while charging & goes out when done". Is that LED visible from both sides? (In other words, do I need to consider "Leftie" or "Rightie" in order for the LED to be visible when the charger is plugged into my laptop?) And, if not visible on both sides, might it be possible to get a custom version where there is an extra LED on the other side?

Sorry for all the questions. Looking forward to your reply.

PS: I am definitely planning to purchase a Nona as soon as I can afford one. But, I still love the idea of having your tiny Basic Charger for "everyday carry".

Rosoku Chikara

Postby Rosoku Chikara » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:41 am

duplicate post
Last edited by Rosoku Chikara on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:26 pm

Rosoku: Thanks for the interest! - The general rule is that the 'ideal' charge rate is about 0.6c so for 10440s I typically recommend somewhere between about 200ma and about 250ma. If you know you will be getting larger cells in the future it may be worth going a little higher to 300maish so that you can get quicker charging later.

For the Basic chargers with simple LED, you can see the LED from both the left and right side as in both cases the LED always points upwards. Hope that makes sense!

Rosoku Chikara

Postby Rosoku Chikara » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:20 pm

cottonpickers wrote:For the Basic chargers with simple LED, you can see the LED from both the left and right side as in both cases the LED always points upwards. Hope that makes sense!

Sorry, It makes sense now. The ""Leftie" or "Rightie" issue only applies to the digital display! Actually, I think some laptops may have USB ports that are "upside down", but I hope that is rare.

Anyway, what is the easiest way to place an order. I live in Japan. I use USA Paypal, but they may not allow me to specify a Japanese address. Will you still ship to Japan?

If shipment is no problem, please provide your paypal email address and exact payment amount required for your Basic Charger (without a display) with your recommended output ("somewhere between about 200ma and about 250ma").

Subaji

Postby Subaji » Tue May 21, 2013 7:20 pm

cottonpickers wrote:A typical 2 x 'D' Cell Maglite puts out about 20 or 30 Lumens. Which is OK. However there are a whole bunch of flashlights out there that will truly blow its socks off. Many of these use Li-ion based cells, which put out about 4v rather than 1.5v.

This means that you can get a Torch or discount Flashlight the size of your thumb that puts out about 10 times as many Lumens than your Maglite. One issue is that any tiny torch needs a tiny Li-ion cell, and this in turn needs a suitable charger. There's a safety rule that says you should never charge a li-ion cell faster than 1C. This means that if the cell capacity is 200mah you should never charge it faster than 200ma. The 'ideal' rate is often cited as 0.6C, so 120ma maximum charge rate in this example. Different sized cells hold different capacities.

One very fine example is the MBI HF Flashlight. It pumps out over 500 Lumens in a package the size of your thumb. Behind the brass is a tiny but very powerful Li-ion Battery. If you have one of these my 100ma chargers are just perfect.

and here it is in action..

To charge this tiny cell you need a Li-ion charger capable of looking after it (nice low current if you've depleted it too far) and something similarly sized ;-)

I've built out lithium ion chargers for a while, and recently changed the design to make them a little 'sleaker' I can typically get within 20ma of your preferred current setting , starting at 60ma up to 700ma.

The chargers have some nice features:
[*]Maximum current is selectable
[*]Charging tapers current down(so quickly gets you to 4v then slower to end)
[*]Termination voltage is 4.2v +/- 1%
[*]Simple LED that lights while charging & goes out when done
[*]No trickle charging (When charging finished, only 2 microamps register)
[*]Soft start if your cell is below 2.9v - perfect for overdischarged cells
[*]Thermal protection of the IC (will lower charging in extreme heat)
[*]Soldered Magnets to 'stick' to the cell

If you have ever considered getting an amazing keychain light using li-ion technology then you may well be interested in this charger. Feel free to discuss here, or head down to 'I want one' if you would like to purchase.... They are $17 or £9 each including delivery. I ship worldwide

and if you fancy it a different colour, I can annodize these in Black, Blue or Red for an additional $2

Basic Chargers

These are amde from aluminium and use a Chinese TP4054 IC which isn't as accurate as the USA version present in the chargers which have a voltmeter.

To purchase, just click on the appropriate link below which will take you to Paypal. You can either pay with Paypal, or use a credit card without having to sign up to Paypal.

Click here : 100ma Basic Charger in silver -$17
Click here : 200ma Basic Charger in silver -$17
Click here : 300ma Basic Charger in silver -$17
Click here : 400ma Basic Charger in silver - $17
Click here : 500ma Basic Charger in silver - $17
Click here : 600ma Basic Charger in silver -$17
Click here : 700ma Basic Charger in silver -$17
Click here : 100ma Basic Charger in RED -$19
Click here : 700ma Basic Charger in RED -$19
Click here : 100ma Basic Charger in BLUE - $19
Click here : 700ma Basic Charger in BLUE - $19
Click here : 100ma Basic Charger in BLACK - $19
Click here : 700ma Basic Charger in BLACK - $19

Nice pics of your flashlights !
I'm using some maglite flashlights those are also great fun to use.

JoelPalmer

Postby JoelPalmer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:09 am

Mike wrote:I'm still using the led light I had from you about 18 months ago on a regular basis and it works superbly, the new one, as you say does look sleeker and I like the idea of having the exact current setting.

great going man.. Just love these charges so efficient.. I am looking to get one very soon

jojos-selected

Postby jojos-selected » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:22 pm

Hello cottonpickers.

Iám jojo from www.selected-lights.de

Iám interested to buy 30pcs basic USB Charger with 100 mAh. (also 90 or 150mAh is OK)

Do you have a special price for resellers.

what is the price include shipping to Germany.

regards
jojo

info@selected-lights.de

juanmorog

Postby juanmorog » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi cottonpikers,David?..i need one 60mah basic charger in silver (17usd) for charging 10180 battery,is possible?,i am new member and non is possible send private message,please sendeme email to me for contact,thanks:
juanmorog arroba yahoo.es

Return to “Battery Charging Discussion”