Re: Discuss: Solar Charger & battery pack for the Raspberry

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:24 pm

Aegis: The V7 is 920ma @ 6V suitable for Nimh Cells. The 1500ma panel is 1500ma :-) 5V suited to external USB Battery Boxes, / Battery stores where they are charged by USB and can later power USB devices.
I can certainly send Ver 9 or 1500ma panels with and without boxes, Pi cases and with or without USB Ports.
I can certainly send a batch, and can reduce the price depending on quantity and what can be removed from the package (eg pi cases or battery boxes) If you can explain a little more what you plan to do I may be able to be more helpful. Feel free to email me directly (same address as my paypal) for a quicker response.

MarcT

Postby MarcT » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:28 am

After very easily making an old TV 'smart' I wanted more Pi. I started off with the idea for a back garden wildlife cam and searched for clues. The software looks simple enough to get working but the electronics isn't my area at all and I soon had a long parts list and an even longer list of questions (including "Can I borrow your soldering iron, Dad?") Then I landed up here and it's all done for me! 1500ma box ordered :)

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:28 am

MarcT got it, thanks. Case printed electrics are due tonight and posting will be tomorrow. PayPal will send you confirmation when it's gone. Lol on the soldering! Yes the pi is great fun.

MarcT

Postby MarcT » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:37 pm

And it's on its way! Thank you.

Schwabinger

Postby Schwabinger » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:10 am

Hi,

I received my version 7 panel last week and did some testing with my wireless internet radio:

With fully loaded AA Eneloops and a little sun my model B rasperry pi ran for a little more than one hour.

Do you think that the on board sound or the wireless USB LAN-Adapter together with a large antenna (as seen on one of the photos) draws that much energy?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rigasw/sets/72157638612312533/

I use a MCP3008 ADC. With that I read the input of two pots and two push buttons to select radio stations, control the vomlume and shutdown/reboot the radio. http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2013/10/analogue-sensors-on-the-raspberry-pi-using-an-mcp3008/

The amp that you can see on the photos is powered seperately.

Kind regards

Schwabinger

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:36 pm

Schwabinger: That sounds very battery intensive! - I would have expected 3hrs or more. My first thought would be one bad battery in there (or cheap batteries) or one that wasn't fully charged. Eneloop are the best, so unless they are a few years old I doubt its the batteries being poor quality.

I'd still charge them all and make sure they are all warm when you put them in - this ensures all 4 are fully charged (in case one was partially charged) Then I'd probably try again, without using the sun at all to give you the 'base' run time. If its really 1 hour again then it means that your set up is drawing about 2000ma an hour (or 8 watts) which is pretty huge. If you find that it does only work for one hour I would try just running the pi without the dongle etc to confirm that it runs for 4 hours plus.

Some wifi dongles use about 40ma (mine does) but a few use about 400ma. One way to tell is if the dongle at the usb end gets warm or not. Warm = energy loss. I don't *think* that the big antenna will draw more. I could be wrong but I would not have expected that to cause the draw. Of course you could unlug it to see.

Please do feed back what you find - I'm hoping its just one poor / weak / undercharged battery

Thats a very cool set up btw! - love the use of it.

Schwabinger

Postby Schwabinger » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi cottonpickers,

thanks for your answer.

The Eneloops are about 4 years old ... I will order new ones together with a model A, that should use less energy anyway.

And I will do another test run using ethernet instead of wlan.

Any yes, the wlan adapter is pretty warm after an hour of use (not hot, but warm).
Can you recommend one?

Schwabinger

Schwabinger

Postby Schwabinger » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:07 pm

I did the following test:

Raspradio only powered with 4 full AA Eneloops (three or four years old, not used very often)
No solar energy (panel face down)
Raspradio connected via LAN ethernet
neither wlan stick nor any other usb-device plugged in
mpd/mpc played internet radio stations from my playlist
I changed station and volume from time to time to make use of the ADC and simulate normal operation

Result:

The radio played for 4:40!

During the last 45 minutes the sound quality was degrading more and more. In the last minutes the led could not be activated any more. Then you could not switch to another station and finally mpd stopped playing. One or two minutes later the ssh connection closed.

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:13 am

That sounds more normal :) over 4 hours is what I would expect. Maybe try again with the antenna - I'm hoping it's just one slightly undercharged cell.

The wifi ones I use are very cheap mini dongles off ebay. Range is about 10-15 metres though unlike that whopper antenna I guess! I can send you one for £5 if you get stuck

Schwabinger

Postby Schwabinger » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Today I repeated the test with a wlan-adapter and antenna instead of ethernet LAN.

4 full AA Eneloops, solar panel face down.

Result: Radio played for 3:30.

Schwabinger

Return to “Raspberry Pi Project Discussions”