Rpi Chronograph

TheWhiteDragon

Rpi Chronograph

Postby TheWhiteDragon » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:16 am

Hi Cotton & All,

its been a fairly long time since i have been able to do anything with my RPi, a BIG Thankyou btw to Cotton for my wedding present, a solar charging unit for my Pi :) Your a star, i have now passed my old v1 Rpi to my nephew as his school is now starting to use scratch, so i have upgraded to Model B v2.

i have been reading the projects from you guys for ages and Cottons new Solar panel looks Epic, great progression bud think ill be putting an order in for a new one so i can pass the current one to my nephew.

i had a thought last night about using my RPI to create a cheap Chronograph,

i shoot HFT (Hunter Field Target) so being at a power level of <12ft lbs is VERY important (if you go over 12ft lbs your classed as a firearm and as such you need all the certifications and checks done, and id rather not have to jump though hoops as it can take 6 months to get your firearms certificate.

basically for those of you who dont know what a chrono is, it basically registers your shot passing sensor A and passing sensor B and working out the speed that it passes then does a few calculations to tell you the total power of the shot.

though im going to need a lil bit of help, mainly in the shell to hold the RPI / Sensors / and batterys. (maybe a solar panel)
i dont have a 3D printer so im hoping i can ask one of you nice guys to print me a shell once i have done the design.

Basically a shot is fired passed sensor A and then sensor B, it then records the speed and the power in a string writes it to a file (time/date stamped) incase of power failure, if no power failure it continues to amend the file.

it "Should" be fairly straight forward, but in the end i want to put a touch screen on the side to display the shot details and the strings, allow a new string etc.

what do you guys reckon to the idea ?

Aikidokajeff

Re: Rpi Chronograph

Postby Aikidokajeff » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Sounds like a good project.
Maybe even one that Liz might put on the main page. :-)

I've just ordered myself a LCD touchscreen for my Pi: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=48956
Can't wait for it to arrive.

I'm looking forward to your updates.

Jeff

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:02 am

Thewhitedragon: I'd be happy to print out something in 3d for you. If its large it risks 'warping' though - so where possible parts should be fairly small. My pi cases are ok, and you could go a little larger if necessary but not much. I use a BFB-3000 to print stuff. It needs .STL files which are a common format for 3d artwork.

TheWhiteDragon

Postby TheWhiteDragon » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:21 am

cheers for the info guys, ill slap some designs together tonight ill break it down into sections, thats probably the best way to do it.

TheWhiteDragon

Postby TheWhiteDragon » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:44 am

Aikidokajeff wrote:Sounds like a good project.
Maybe even one that Liz might put on the main page. :-)

Jeff

hmm im not sure, normally anything related to shooting sports in the UK get dropped,

The BBC are the biggest culprit to this, we have some of the finest target shooters in the world, and yet they get no air time, one of our top UK champions is a 17yr old girl who has more country/world titles than anyone her age, yet her achievements are never seen by the country,

ya never know though, i spoke to liz years ago before the pi was released about eben or someone attending an event, ya never know she may remember me :)

Aikidokajeff

Postby Aikidokajeff » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:56 pm

That is a shame. It is sad they don't promote shooting sports.

Let's hope Liz remembers and doesn't care what others do :-)

TheWhiteDragon

Postby TheWhiteDragon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:38 pm

hey all,

sorry i have been overloaded at work, so i haven't been able to do anything on this for ages..
now i finally have some time, i want to get back to it.

though i have a question, i need some sensors.. does anyone have any experience with them ?
what i need is something to detect a pellet/bullet passing by, im not sure if motion would be best or if some other kind would be best.

what do you guys recommend ?
:?:

Return to “Raspberry Pi Project Discussions”