Rpi Chronograph

TheWhiteDragon

Rpi Chronograph

Postby TheWhiteDragon » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:16 am

Hi Cotton & All,

its been a fairly long time since i have been able to do anything with my RPi, a BIG Thankyou btw to Cotton for my wedding present, a solar charging unit for my Pi :) Your a star, i have now passed my old v1 Rpi to my nephew as his school is now starting to use scratch, so i have upgraded to Model B v2.

i have been reading the projects from you guys for ages and Cottons new Solar panel looks Epic, great progression bud think ill be putting an order in for a new one so i can pass the current one to my nephew.

i had a thought last night about using my RPI to create a cheap Chronograph,

i shoot HFT (Hunter Field Target) so being at a power level of <12ft lbs is VERY important (if you go over 12ft lbs your classed as a firearm and as such you need all the certifications and checks done, and id rather not have to jump though hoops as it can take 6 months to get your firearms certificate.

basically for those of you who dont know what a chrono is, it basically registers your shot passing sensor A and passing sensor B and working out the speed that it passes then does a few calculations to tell you the total power of the shot.

though im going to need a lil bit of help, mainly in the shell to hold the RPI / Sensors / and batterys. (maybe a solar panel)
i dont have a 3D printer so im hoping i can ask one of you nice guys to print me a shell once i have done the design.

Basically a shot is fired passed sensor A and then sensor B, it then records the speed and the power in a string writes it to a file (time/date stamped) incase of power failure, if no power failure it continues to amend the file.

it "Should" be fairly straight forward, but in the end i want to put a touch screen on the side to display the shot details and the strings, allow a new string etc.

what do you guys reckon to the idea ?

Aikidokajeff

Re: Rpi Chronograph

Postby Aikidokajeff » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Sounds like a good project.
Maybe even one that Liz might put on the main page. :-)

I've just ordered myself a LCD touchscreen for my Pi:
Can't wait for it to arrive.

I'm looking forward to your updates.

Jeff

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:02 am

Thewhitedragon: I'd be happy to print out something in 3d for you. If its large it risks 'warping' though - so where possible parts should be fairly small. My pi cases are ok, and you could go a little larger if necessary but not much. I use a BFB-3000 to print stuff. It needs .STL files which are a common format for 3d artwork.

TheWhiteDragon

Postby TheWhiteDragon » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:21 am

cheers for the info guys, ill slap some designs together tonight ill break it down into sections, thats probably the best way to do it.

TheWhiteDragon

Postby TheWhiteDragon » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:44 am

Aikidokajeff

Postby Aikidokajeff » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:56 pm

That is a shame. It is sad they don't promote shooting sports.

Let's hope Liz remembers and doesn't care what others do :-)

TheWhiteDragon

Postby TheWhiteDragon » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:38 pm

hey all,

sorry i have been overloaded at work, so i haven't been able to do anything on this for ages..
now i finally have some time, i want to get back to it.

though i have a question, i need some sensors.. does anyone have any experience with them ?
what i need is something to detect a pellet/bullet passing by, im not sure if motion would be best or if some other kind would be best.

what do you guys recommend ?
:?:

Return to “Raspberry Pi Project Discussions”