2.8" TFT touch screen

Aikidokajeff

2.8" TFT touch screen

Postby Aikidokajeff » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 am

I've recently purchased a small, 2.8" TFT touchscreen from TEXY on the raspberry pi forums.
It is simply excellent.
You can put X out to it, have the main console on it, write directly to it as a framebuffer.

You can see it in action in this YouTube video I made to show off the simple user Interface I wrote in Python to allow it to run without the need for a keyboard/mouse to take pictures etc.

You can see my writup of it here: http://www.aikitek.org/wordpress/?p=117
(the code can be obtained here: http://www.aikitek.org/wordpress/?p=135

I've tried seating the pi plus TFT in the solar case I have and it *just* doesn't fit, there is a tiny overlap off the side of the Pi. Nothing a simple dremmel won't fix :-)
I'll get round to that soon.

Jeff

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Re: 2.8" TFT touch screen

Postby cottonpickers » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:08 am

Oh WOW! - I love it! - There's is something so futuristic about a device like the Pi that is that small - with a display and camera added in really very neat. Thanks so much for posting the video and the link- I've pinged Texy to pick on up - I think it would be cool to get the solar case adjusted to fit nicely and use it as a 'Raspberry Solar Powered Laptop' What are you using as keyboard currently? have you looked at those tiny bluetooth keyboards? Any plans for using it on any specific project or just for fun?

Again, thanks for sharing - I can see a lot of uses for it.

Aikidokajeff

Postby Aikidokajeff » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:23 am

Thanks
:-) They are really great screens.
I'm using something very similar to this for the moment, but a proper keyboard when doing more dedicated typing:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/mini-keyboard-with-touchpad-for-media-centre-517250

As for projects here is just a list of thing I can thin of off the top of me head (that I've considered doing):
Camera - DONE :-)
Interactive talking pressy button game for my 2 girls ( <3 years old)
A monitor for my web server(s) - displaying various stats derived from server-status in apache.
In car HUD, very much like the output on the front page of Pi yesterday.

I'm so glad I decided to get one, it really makes my Pi look more impressive.

I can't wait to see a solar case that fits this. it is only slightly frustrating that the solar has to be on top and the screen would be best there too.

Good luck designing though.

Jeff

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:29 pm

Jeff: Well I got my TFT screen this weekend so I've had LOTS of fun!! - wow its so neat. Texy that makes these is a genius! and it opens a whole world of uses for the Pi.

I spent a little time on Saturday getting the software installed which wasn't too bad at all, and then today I modified the case design to get the display to fit. I took the simple option of extending the case to protect the TFT screen without fundamentally changing the design.

Here's some pics:

I've got it running at the minute and its STILL GOING at over 4 hours on a Solar charge!!

Jeff: As a thank you for highlighting and posting on this display, I'd be DELIGHTED to send you the modified solar case - just PM me your name and address and I'll get one sent over to you

As a thank you to anyone that has already posted to this forum before today I'd be delighted to send this modified solar case design at the reduced rate of 15GBP including postage.

For everyone new, if you prefer to receive this slightly large case (to fit the TFT in) rather than the normal V7 design its the same price as the V7 , just include in the paypal notes section that you want the TFT version of the V7 case.

Aikidokajeff

Postby Aikidokajeff » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:41 pm

Yay, that looks great in the slightly bigger case :-)
Great pictures.
I'm glad to see it you got it working easily, if you have a PiCamera and want to use the simple interface I wrote you can download it from my site. (I have a newer version that does video too and I'll be posting that tomorrow, probably)
You can see it in action(again, if you've already watched above) with new Video options here:

It saves me getting the tools out to cut a little bit here and there off the current case :-)

Thank you so much for the new case offer, I'll PM you shortly.

Jeff

Jollybox

Postby Jollybox » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:44 am

Jeff, this looks like something I'm after. Could you PM me please?

Aikidokajeff

Postby Aikidokajeff » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:36 am

The case arrived yesterday.
I was really surprised at how light it was in comparison to my original Solar panel case! So light!

Now to think how I might use put them together to make a fancy big Pi setup.

Thanks again!

Jeff

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:38 am

Jolly box: I've pinged texy who makes the TFT and he's ok with me reselling them packaged with the solar battery box. Ill be looking to package the display and the slightly larger solar case together and perhaps offer them (£40) at about £5 discounted price from the separate items. Folks who just want texys screen should buy direct over at raspberrypi.org Id be happy to sell the display and case in the photo to you (or if you aren't interested to anyone else that has posted on this website before today) for £35. For now I just have the one case/TFT combo. Which I can post out at Sun

Aikidokajeff

Postby Aikidokajeff » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:07 am

That is fantastic news!
Go buy them everyone! They are great screens and lovely compact solar cases.
*cashes cheque* ;-)

But seriously, nice work.

Jeff

Jollybox

Postby Jollybox » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:52 am

Jeff, I do apologise for not returning your kind PM but being a complete novice at this sort of thing I can't reply to PM's yet apparently. Anyway, the screen is probably just what I am after. Ultimate plan is to have a 'self' contained solar powered Pi running a motorised camera dolly for making time lapse sequences dubs.davidhunt.ie was a great inspiration to get started. I have my 'rail' made - sourcing stepping motors and tooth belts at the moment. Ordered a solar thingie-oh from cottonpickers, I have a Pi already and am amazed at the thing. I am very much a non-hands on in the programming/computer side - fear I guess but I am old enough to remember gazing at wonder at fellow class mates describing the docking maneuvers playing "Elite" on the schools hallowed BBC micro computers. I have a friend at work who is a wizard at all things python (he is planning to build a Pi super computer - aka Southampton Uni). So I PM'd you rather than taking up space saying 'how-much-where-can-I-get-one-ready-built type of thing - said it now..

Best regards

Return to “Raspberry Pi Project Discussions”