AirPi - The Raspberry Pi Weather Station

cottonpickers
Site Admin

AirPi - The Raspberry Pi Weather Station

Postby cottonpickers » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 pm

I've been slow in getting this posted, but wanted to share pics of my AirPi

This is a really amazing bit of kit available from http://airpi.es and really is an 'all in one' solution to weather and air quality monitoring.

It packs in an amazing amount of sensors into the one PCB which attaches easily to the Pi:
•Temperature and Humidity sensor (DHT22)
•Air Pressure and Temperature sensor (BMP085)
•Carbon Monoxide (CO) sensor (MiCS-5525)
•Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) sensor (MiCS-2710)
•UV sensor (UVI-01)
•Light sensor (LDR)

I've modified the standard Ver7 Solar Battery Case to make this totally portable! - it can run for hours off the batteries and be charged in the sun.

If you are want the slightly taller case to fit the Airpi PCB into the case just order the Ver 7 model and in the paypal notes field, let me know its for the AirPi (or TFT Screen, as they are the same size) and I'll send you one over.

Here's how it looks when installed in my solar battery case:

shellig

Re: AirPi - The Raspberry Pi Weather Station

Postby shellig » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:54 am

This is pretty neat, are you selling these? I was looking at your solar battery combo to use with a raspberry pi "A" , wifi dongle, and raspberry pi camera to create a solar, wireless webcam for outdoor use (time lapse photo/video). I am also interested in a weather recording component so combining the two would be excellent. I know nothing about the pi and although I am an engineer, electronics are a weak area for me. Any advice? I have not purchased any components yet so open to suggestion.

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Re: AirPi - The Raspberry Pi Weather Station

Postby cottonpickers » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:26 am

Hi Shellig,
I am still selling the 'Solar Pi Cases' where you can load it up with 4 nimh batteries and it will power the Raspberry pi for hours and self charge in the sun. I did have a few of the 'Air Pi' addons - this is a board for recording weather / air quality etc. - you can get them here: https://www.tindie.com/products/tmhrtly/airpi-kit/ but look like they are sold out. Of course you can also find other sensors to add more cheaply to the pi but the airpi is a nice solution as its 'all in one' and allows you easy upload to the web.

My recommendation would be to @just do it" and go out and first buy a Raspberry B+ to experiment - you will learn a lot and there are people who can help. within an hour of buying it you will have downloaded the operating system onto an SD or microsSD card and be seeing the lovely raspberry welcome screen. Which in itself feels great :-)

I suggest the B+ as it has lots of USB ports but uses half the power of the older B and about the same power as the older A model so is the one to go for in my opinion. If and when you are ready then get the camera and get that working (one step at a time)

then I'd suggest getting the pi case/battery pack - you can order the one for the new B+ raspberry pi model from here: http://ccgi.cottonpickers.plus.com/shop_raspberry.

The pi case will not allow 24x7 running , but should last a day in the sun for timelapse over many hours. If you wanted to timelapse over many days you would need to add my timer available on that same page to shut it off at night to conserve battery. (if you went that route you would need to write or download a a script to start up... take photo... shut down pi... ) then you could timelapse even over a year if you wanted. but I would go for one step at a time until you get where you want to go.

Return to “Raspberry Pi Project Discussions”