Cottonpickers 7 Day USB Pi Timer!

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Re: Cottonpickers 7 Day USB Pi Timer!

Postby cottonpickers » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi Eric,

Hmm, I'm not sure why that would happen. However I'll send out a replacement this weekend - I'll find the post details and my apologies!

gonz

Postby gonz » Thu May 15, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi,
do you still sell those?
I am interested in combining this with a V9 solar charger to power a time-lapse photography pi. Should I just buy them separately or do you have anything where this comes combined? I need to make it waterproof.
Thanks
gonz

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Fri May 16, 2014 6:26 am

Hi Gonz, Yes I'm still selling the timers (and for anyone else reading, all items that are advertised here)

I do sell it in combination with the Ver9 and include a plastic box. Its weather resistant rather than waterproof (you couldn't submerge its without using some sealant)

I've also posted details of the Li-ion based solution (with either of these solutions you would need to add batteries - shout if you need help with that)

For sale are a packaged, "Combo' box solutions. I'm offering 2 models here, a Nimh based solution and a Li-ion based solution.

Combo 1: NiMh
Panel: 920ma Solar panel with USB port
Battery Pack: Empty Nimh Holder for 4x D cell rechargeable batteries (stores about 30watt hours)
Timer: 7 Day timer to switch the Pi on and off at set times
Box: A4 sized box to hold it all in and keep the worst of the weather out
Pi Holder: Simple plastic holder for the Pi

This is a nice solution for most uses - Just add 4 D Cell Nimh batteries and you are good to go. It will charge 4 high capacity (8,000mah) batteries in around 10 hours of good sun, and can power the Raspberry Pi B model for around 15 hours, or the Raspberry Pi Model A for around 30 hours with fully charged batteries. If you use the timer to switch the pi off at night or only switch on a few hours a day you could run all year in a remote location

Click here : Buy Now: Combo 1 including delivery within the EU £44.99
Click here : Buy Now: Combo 1 including delivery anywhere else in the world $79

Combo 2: Li-ion
Panel: 1500ma Solar panel with USB port
Battery Pack: Empty Li-ion Holder for 4x18650 rechargeable Li-ion batteries (stores about 40 watt hours)
Timer: 7 Day timer to switch the Pi on and off at set times (or anything else USB powered)
Box: A4 sided box to hold it all in and keep the worst of the weather out.
Pi Holder: Simple plastic holder for the Pi

This is a more powerful solution. Just add 4x 18650 Li-ion cells and you are good to go. It will charge the pack (up to 13,000mah) in around 10 hours of good sun and can power the Raspberry Pi B model for around 20 hours or the Raspberry Pi Model A for around 40 hours with fully charged batteries. If you use the timer to switch the Pi off at night or only switch on a few hours a day you could run all year in a remote location. The battery pack has a white LED which will glow permanently - Provides a gently glow 24x7 from the box.

Click here : Buy Now: Combo 2 including delivery within the EU £54.99
Click here : Buy Now: Combo 2 including delivery anywhere else in the world $95

alix

Postby alix » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:53 am

Hello Cottonpickers,

I am wondering where I can get the 5V timer without the USB modification (conx)?

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:25 pm

Hi Alix, I'd be happy to send one over without the usb leads but still include instructions etc. I'd also be happy to knock one pound or two dollars off (depending where you are) as I should be able to get under 100g on postage- I'll refund that when you order. Ideally put a note in paypal to say without conx. but I'll watch for it anyway

dp101

Postby dp101 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:07 am

Hi Cottonpickers,

I ordered the Solar Panel (li-ion version) + timer @ £54.99 last week (31st Jul) through Paypal purchase links.
Just wanted to check that you received order ok, and if possible could you give me a rough idea on turnaround please? (Can't wait to try it out!)

Thanks!!! :D

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:34 am

Hi
Normal turnaround is 2-3 days on these and solar pi cases. I have to admit to being away on a long weekend as your order came in , but it's been made up and was sent out on Wed 1st class. Hopefully you have it now but shout if not

ksmiweather

Postby ksmiweather » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:46 pm

cottonpickers,

I stumbled across your solar kits and think I've found what I'm looking for (after a very long search). We're looking to deploy about 30+ RPi's around the city to collect weather data. Power has been the biggest issue for us, but I'm hopeful that your solar kits can solve this for us. I'm looking to order some, hopefully in bulk.

A few questions:
1) Does the timer have the ability to turn the power on every 8 minutes, stay on for about 2 minutes, then turn off for another 8 minutes, etc?
2) What kind of presets can be built? (eg. minimum time, on/off sequences, etc)
3) Bulk pricing? :)
4) Do you recommend any particular brand of batteries for this?

Cheers,
Kyle

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi Ksmiweather! The timer can operate up to 17 on / off settings a day - Minimum time is 1 min. Of course you could couple this with your Pi doing something (eg use the timer to only switch on during daylight hours and then have the pi take a reading every hour) I can do bulk pricing :-) but first need to ensure its what ou need / want and how many. It has its own li-ion rechargeable battery to run the timer that last months/years without charging. I recommend my combo pack as it has a nice li-ion battery store and matching large solar panel
Contact me at cottonpickers at cottonpickers . plus dot com and we can chat.For Lion Genuine Panasonic 3400ma unprotected are the best and last the longest

Dirk

Postby Dirk » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:02 pm

Hi,

Are you still selling this timer?
I'm interested to have one to automatically power on/off my camera in the birdhouse over night.

In fact I'm using a competitor of the pi to which a webcam is attached. Both the mini pc and the webcam are in the birdhouse and constantly stream video. Power comes from a solar panel but as it was too expensive for me to get a solar panel + battery that supports 24/24 monitoring I opted for a cheaper version. The idea is to only operate it for 12 hours a day and that is why I'm looking for a timer to cut the power of the USB cable.

Kind regards,
Dirk

Return to “Raspberry Pi Project Discussions”