Cottonpickers Solar Battery UPS Case!

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Cottonpickers Solar Battery UPS Case!

Postby cottonpickers » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:22 pm

This is a Uninterruptible Power Supply Case for the B+ and Raspberry Pi Ver 2 Model

I like it because it will allow you to run the Pi off power and immediately cut over to batteries when theres a power cut. Whilst you use the Pi it charges the batteries back up. The solar panel is included to run the pi for extended periods in the sun and also to charge the cells ecologically :-)

Just pop in 4xnimh batteries and your Pi and you are good to go.
Charging rate is a nice 70ma to trickle charge and keep them topped up.
The panel is over a watt and over 250ma so it can help the Pi run for extended periods in the sun (over 6 hours for the B+)

jonnybitcoin

Re: Cottonpickers Solar Battery UPS Case!

Postby jonnybitcoin » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:26 am

very nice solution. I'm just getting in to solar power and raspberry pis at the moment but this looks very slick.
I want to power my pi from a solar powerbank.

I just bought a usb solar panel from your shop today which I want to use to charge up this 20000mah battery pack:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/20000mAh-Ultra- ... power+bank

heres a video of what's inside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XZYeFQ41Ls

It has since occured to me that should just asked if you could built it for me as you obviously have the skills.

also I'm now thinking I may need a bigger solar panel?

I couldn't find any other way of contacting you other than on this forum so apologies if its not the best method.

alex3137

Postby alex3137 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:04 pm

Hello.

I seems the picture attached are broken, can you please check ?

Thanks

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Nice pack. wow. good capacity.. For Li-ion battery packs one thing I look for is that they need to be able to stay on without auto switching off (at least I find these are more useful) otherwise you have to press the button each time to fire them up. That one looks nice - a *lot* of battery in there. The Pi uses about 300ma at 5v an hour (1.5wh) so in theory you have about 50 hours use (!) if my math is correct on a full charge. I forget what size panel you picked up from me. I do have 500ma, 840ma, 1100ma and 1500ma panels. The largest two are linkable so you could add in the existing panel you have to combine the power. Yea I love Solar and Pis too :-)

jonnybitcoin

Postby jonnybitcoin » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:21 pm

as you can probably tell from my name I'm a big fan of bitcoin and may soon purchase this rasperry pi based bitcoin miner which requires 15w + 5w for the pi.

I think currently it can produce about 30 pence a day but running it off solar would make that even better.

www.21.co

Return to “Raspberry Pi Project Discussions”