A camera for the pi

Mike

A camera for the pi

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:02 am

According to the Raspberry Pi team they have already developed a small prototype camera module that could possibly be used for home automations and robotic applications in the future.

This plugs into the CSI pins that are exposed in the middle of the unit

This should be available later in the year although there is no pricing as yet.

This is all very exciting stuff for the future.

lorenxo

A camera for the pi

Postby lorenxo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:19 pm

I presume the camera is cloaked and stealthy. If it is, you use it in a radar-way fashion. Plant it somewhere you want to have LOS. Its useful to watch for incoming enemies when you put it in chokepoints.

cregy

Re: A camera for the pi

Postby cregy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:19 am

Can't wait to see this up an running. I'm building some time lapse equipment and because this works out of the box with the PI I'm assuming you wouldn't need any additional batteries etc. I'm currently looking at running a Logitech C270 and I am hoping that it can run off the solar panel and batteries built by you guys. If it does I will have the makings of a superb time lapse kit.

Thanks

Rich

Aikidokajeff

Postby Aikidokajeff » Sun May 19, 2013 9:22 pm

I got mine on Saturday!
Here is a quick write up of what I did using your Solar case to hold the pi and camera.
http://www.aikitek.org/wordpress/?p=64
Took it all out for a walk today.
Picture:

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Mon May 20, 2013 1:47 pm

OOhh!! Awesome!!

I love that they finally got the camera out there and working. Nice idea to take it 'for a walk' :-) - what does the LCD panel do? is it to tell you the status ? or to take the pics?

Really nice job. I can see people using this for Bird boxes, and wild life shots (or just for plain fun ;-)

Link again for those that may have missed it: www.aikitek.org/wordpress/?p=64

Aikidokajeff

Postby Aikidokajeff » Mon May 20, 2013 2:07 pm

The LCD is normally used to control the Pi and show data.
It has 4 buttons (A,B,C,D)
A - shows Date and Time
B - Shows Eth and WiFi IP addresses
C - Shows Disk uage and CPU usage
D - Powers the Pi off. (HALT)

I hijacked the B button for use as a quick shutter button - it calls the "raspistill" executable and then says "ok" to say the picture has been taken.
The LCD is all controlled from a Python Script, it is just a serial device so displays what you tell it.

All very cool.

I will try to find time to take more pics or even a video of it in action and write up a description of its opperation.

And my blog being on a Pi is cool too - Wordpress isn't the speediest but Google analytics showed 125 concurrent connections, although my cacti monitoring showed much less.

Thanks,

Jeff

Aikidokajeff

Postby Aikidokajeff » Mon May 20, 2013 10:10 pm

Part 2 of my write up - briefly adding a bit more info: http://www.aikitek.org/wordpress/?p=80

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Postby cottonpickers » Tue May 21, 2013 6:04 am

Nice - I like the extra pictures and the statue is great. I'm impressed that you are running the website itself off a Pi as well. Also, nice use of the blu tak!!

Return to “Raspberry Pi Project Discussions”