Temperature Sensor for the Pi

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Temperature Sensor for the Pi

Postby cottonpickers » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:55 pm

I've picked up some temperature probes which should work fine for the PI. I need to do some messing with them first to get them working usrefully but will share with you how I get on.

In the spirit of this website, for those that dont want to hack around too much ;-) I'll also offer them for sale, likely bundled with an 8gb card configured with some simple software. I'm looking to add this to my long term project of getting the Pi fully wireless, fully solar powered and in likely sat in the greenhouse :-) reading the temperature. If you have a Pi project going on, please do share what you are up to , and if you can make it available to others I'd encourage you to start a sales thread. The more the merrier.

cottonpickers
Site Admin

Re: Temperature Sensor for the Pi

Postby cottonpickers » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:26 pm

Well I finally managed to get my sRaspberry Pi Temperature Sensor up and running ! Woohoo!

Its a Dallas one wire sensor, and needs a resistor adding, but once done and plugged in works nicely. I used Adafruits OS build as it has the drivers bitbanged in.

I need to play around a bit more to get temperature graphed, and because of the implementation some of the readings are marked as bad and need discarding - but nothing too major. For those interested, you need to pick up:
1. Dallas 1-Wire Sensor (I went for a 1m waterproof one, but there are others available) like this
or this
2. You need a 4k7 resistor

3. You need to either update your Raspberry Kernel or pick up an Adafruit Build which has this done already
4. You likely need a connector or plugs' to connect to the pins. I use JST leads that work for me
5. Just plug in the right leads. I'll take a picture in a few days to show you.
6. Fire up your Pi and type the following:

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe w1-gpio
sudo modprobe w1-therm
cat /sys/bus/w1/devices/28-*/w1_slave

This will give you the temperature in degrees celcius! (actually you need to divide the number by 100 but lets not nit pick!)

And in the spirit of this website... if you want me to make up a temperature probe with the right resistor and jst connectors and make up the OS disk for you, just head down to 'I want one!'

Return to “Raspberry Pi Project Discussions”